Monday, February 12, 2007

"Food-Food"


Mom has a huge sweet tooth. I have been to dinner with her when she finishes eating, I am still working on my plate and she is already scrutinizing the dessert menu. She loves ice cream, and often will say..."Hmmm...I want something creamy!" Chocolate is her favorite treat, and is the vice that she gives up every year for lent.

On the other hand, meals are very important to my mom. She would never be one to grab a snicker bar instead of salad or sandwich at lunch. And as much as she loves sweets, she has never been a big fan of pancakes, French toast, or other options that involve syrup. Meals are a time for savory choices.

"I had my coffee and slice of banana bread this morning...now it is time for food-food."

Never convinced on Belgian waffles or oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar - mom always opts for eggs on a Sunday brunch. Cereal and fruit suffice for the weekdays, but two eggs sunny side up with sliced tomatoes and one piece of wheat toast is her favorite.

"and a little salsa?" she playfully asks the waitress.

Being in California this is usually not a hard request to fill.



Today I had a late breakfast which consisted of an oatmeal cookie, peach yogurt and fruit. I thought of mom, a few hours later I was ready for "food food" and I knew I could not last until dinner. In my opinion one of the world's greatest meals, as it can be served anytime of the day, is the fried egg sandwich. Mom makes the best ones, but I have to settle for second best when I make it myself. Two pieces of wheat bread slightly toasted, dressed with mayo and mustard, a couple of slices of fresh tomato, crisp lettuce, and one hot over-medium egg with salt and pepper. (Mom likes her's runny, but I like it a little more cooked.) Something about the hot egg, fresh tomato, creamy mayo, and toasty bread. Mmmmm. "Its a winner."

Picture source : www.wpclipart.com/food/meats_and_eggs/index.html

No comments: